Go Motorcycle Racing - Getting Started


So you want to go Road Racing? There is plenty of info below to help you get started...


Sadly due to the Covid Pandemic, ThundersportGB are not operating any school days, so what you see below for now is purely informational.


Contact the ACU to get further information as to where you can take your theory and practical courses.




 Working out which machine you can start racing on and what qualifications you need to have (including your age) can be a headache when you first want to go Road Racing.


It has been likened to having to ride an old Honda C90 with flat tyres, across London, blindfolded in the rush hour and then having to sit "The Knowledge”


NO, it’s not actually like that at all.




Don’t worry, it’s dead easy...

(with a bit of help from your friends)


ThundersportGB IS that friend and below

are 3 videos plus written text on EXACTLY what to do which will make it feel a

whole lot easier, some will prefer to watch the videos, some the text, some both.


Whichever you choose to do, if you get stuck on anything, or have a question,

don't be afraid to pick up the phone and give us a call on 01509 809524 or 809530.


NEVER believe your questions may be stupid, there ARE no stupid questions, there

are only stupid answers to questions and you won't get any stupid answers here!


Please note: Videos' 2 & 3 were shot back in 2015 and obviously costs have changed a little here and there since then and so will differ to that laid out in those videos.







2) 'ONE STOP SHOP' (CTC & BRA courses on 28th Feb 2021 at Donington Park) IS £175

.....Eyesight test and for your licence application can be carried out onsite at just £10


3) Club Thundersport Registration Fee is £50 (Standard) or £120 (Premier)



So You Want To Be A Motorcycle Racer Tutorial Video 1


So you want to be a motorcycle racer?

  PART 1 Application & Paperwork Required

PART 2 The costs and other stuff involved
PART 3 About your very first race meeting




So You Want To Be A Motorcycle Racer Tutorial Video 2


So you want to be a motorcycle racer?

PART 4 Machine Technical Control

 Note: Rain lights & Lever guards required



So You Want To Be A Motorcycle Racer Tutorial Video 3


So you want to be a motorcycle racer?


Qualifying, warm-up laps, race start,

last lap and race finish procedures







1) Completing the Licence Form – Degree of difficulty 1/10 (simple)

Download an ACU 2020 Road Race Licence Form from either the ACU website or the Thundersport GB – document centre. This is a 4 page document, but filling it in is very easy.

On page 1:-

Fill in your name, address and date of birth information above Section 1 and clip a passport sized photograph to the form. Please write your name and date of birth on the back of the photograph.


In Section One, simply put a cross in the box next to “Novice” (or “Intermediate Novice” if you have a Full Class-A DVLA motorcycle licence – a copy of this must then be attached to the form) and tick the “Orange vest” column (you must wear an orange vest until you have lost your newcomers status). Don’t fill in anything else.

Although the Orange Vest is priced at £7 you will not be charged this with your first application.


In Section Two, put in your payment details.


On page 2:-

In Section Three, put a tick against each of the 12 questions. If you are fit and healthy, you should be ticking “No” on every box.

Remember to sign this declaration as it is a legal document.


In Section Four, your Doctor or any optician should be able to pass your eyesight as 6/6 with “normal” colour vision WITH your glasses worn if required. This is your corrected vision, not your unaided vision. Get the optician/doctor to sign and place their official stamp in the boxes.


In Section Five, you do not need to fill in anything, unless you have ticked “Yes” to anything in section three, or are over 70 years of age.


Section Six spans the bottom of page 3 and goes on to page 4. This is the Legal Declaration and you must sign and date it in the boxes provided.

ONLY if you are under 18 years of age, get your parent or legal guardian to sign and date the “Minors Declaration” here – otherwise just sign the riders part.


Section Seven - You will now see that there is a new section for the Recognised Training Body to sign and stamp to indicate that you have successfully undertaken an ACU Competitor Training Course (classroom based) and an ACU Basic Rider Assessment (track based) – these boxes must be completed before your Licence Application can be processed. See below for information.


CTC and BRA Courses are available throughout the season and the dates/venues can be obtained by calling the Road Race Department at the ACU HQ – 01788 566405-6 Michelle or Rowena will be pleased to help you find a course.

ThundersportGB training day for 2020 is Friday 6th March 2019 at Mallory Park.


Simple so far?................



2) Joining a Road Racing Club or Organisation – Degree of difficulty 1/10 (simple)

Once you have decided which series you want to race in (Thundersport GB of course), apply for this online - even on your smart phone on the Thundersport GB website www.thundersportgb.com

It is quite normal to join more than one club or organisation and joining any organisation does not commit you to competing at all or any of its rounds, you are free to do as much or as little as you wish or can afford. Each club or organisation will give you the links to enable you to apply for your races online.

For your first licence application you must use the paper system, as the Recognised Training Body will need to see proof that you are actually applying for a licence. Fill in the registration form online (find this in the DOC CENTRE within this website), but bring your ACU Road Race Licence Application with you to the training day.

You will see on our form that we do two different types of membership, “Premier” and “Standard”, they are both racing memberships and the only difference is that “Premier” riders get £20 discount on each race entry. This makes it cheaper over the course of the season if you intend to compete in more than 4 of our events.


Still simple?................


3) Completing a compulsory Competitor Training Course (CTC) – Degree of difficulty less than 1/10 (very simple)

Every new applicant has to complete one of these very straightforward theory courses. They are also compulsory for any rider who has let their race licence lapse for a period of 5 years or more.


4) Completing a compulsory Basic Rider Assessment (BRA) – Degree of difficulty 1/10 (very simple)

Every new Road Race Competitor must undergo a very simple on track training process. This is not to assess whether or not you are the next Valentino Rossi, it is merely to ensure that you have adequate machine control to be able to race safely and to ensure that you are familiar with the race start procedure, together with a basic understanding of lines and braking points.

You do not have to impress anyone with your lap times.


Thundersport GB provide a one day pre-season test day where we also operate a complete “One Stop Shop” where you can walk in without a licence or membership and walk out 8 hours later as a fully licenced Road Racer. The booking forms are available on our website. These courses are extremely popular and fill up very quickly so we are NOT able to accommodate riders who just rock-up on the day and have not pre-booked.

Our school day for 2020 is:-

Friday 6th March 2020 at Mallory Park

You can do the theory test on Thursday 5th March 2020 if you want to take advantage of a full days testing on 6th March too though if you wish.


These courses can include all of these elements:-


On Track Assessment (BRA).


Complete Competitor Training Course (CTC).


Eyesight Report.


ACU Licence Application.


Thundersport GB Registration.


General motorcycle testing (after course is completed).


(or any combination of the above)


The CTC paper itself is a simple multi choice exercise designed to make sure that you understand the flags and course conduct taught during the day. It is very easy and if you have read this far, you will have no problems with it whatsoever.


How easy was that?...................


So now you’re ready to go racing, but what kind of bike are you best suited to?


When you get your first Road Race Licence, you will either be classified as a “Novice” or an “Intermediate Novice” rider. The only difference is that an “Intermediate Novice” rider will be over 18 years old and in possession of a Full Class A – DVLA road licence and is therefore not subject to any machine capacity restrictions.

There is a table of licence grades, ages, machines and restrictions on the ACU website and within this website doc centre, but if you are unsure after reading any of that, please give us a call on 01509 809524 or 809530 and we will do our best to advise you on what suits your age and budget.


Come join us... We think you'll like the way we do it!






2021 Results

Live Timing

Results Logo

2020   2019

2018     2017      2016

2015     2014     2013

2012     2011     2010

Click TSL logo for live timing (only active during race days)


Link to: GB Racing website. What's protecting YOUR machine?



Dunlop logo



Blackbird Corporate - Sharepoint professionals delivering training, consultancy and project management to businesses throughout the UK and Europe






Link to: Holbeach Motorcycle Tyres Ltd




Continental Tyres - Engineered in Germany - Sold in the UK by: A&R Racing Services




AR Racing logo




TW Suspension Tech - Appointed Suspension Specialists to the the ThundersportGB paddock



Van Glass Ltd -  Suppliers of aftermarket windows & glass products for VW Transporter T4, T5 and T6, Vauxhall Vivaro, Renault Master, Ford Transit, Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot, Iveco, Mercedes, Nissan, Hyundai, & many more.



Bemoto Insurance Specialist website... Everything you need insurance wise involving motorcycles from road to race!






Stewart Events logo






Colin Port Images - Motorsport Photography - ThundersportGB Accredited


 Kerry Rawson Photography website


Alto Digital logo